12.19.2010

you can never make something "new"

the best way to clearer skin is the completion of finals.  i looked in the mirror this morning, just two days post-hell (aka week of presentations), and almost didn't recognize my healing face.  my theory: if school's didn't take the we'll-throw-everything-stressful-at-our-students-until-they-drop-out approach, no one over the age of 18 would need benzoyl peroxide.

that said, i have taken a step back to observe my style influences.  there are some that i admired from the start, some that my work tends to resemble, and some that i strive to be.  unfortunately, as new as i may think an idea is, i keep seeing my "ingenious" designs already interpreted by someone bigger, better, and with more money--without me ever knowing about it.  that's okay though, because as my first semester in fashion school concludes, it's nice to know that my thinking is at least along the lines of some of fashion's greats.

before i digress on my style specs, here are a couple more projects from the semester.
[warning: low-quality images due to my memory card LOCKING ITSELF! boo. so these were taken on my droid]

this one, you're already familiar with, but i have some detail shots.


the over-underalls have too many details for me to EVER want to sew it again, but notice the button front, shirt pocket + pants pockets (all upside-down), and down-below collar.
viktor & rolf (s2011 RTW), proenza schouler (s2010 RTW) , and alexander wang (s2010 RTW) ALL have unique takes on this "dressed in the dark" concept of unconventional use of clothing pieces.  (though i was inspired by this image from the sartorialist.)


my skirt was inspired by looking through free people's online lookbook and an ease of design given that i had only one night to design, pattern, and sew this piece.  proenza, again, may be blamed for the ruffles. the only rule for this final was that it had to fit me, so voila!! new skirt (12 hrs later)!


and these pants, much less lame when on a body and photographed with my nikon instead of my phone, were constructed mid-semester for patternmaking class.  again, the only constraint was that they had to fit.
the black pair is my FAVORITE.  they are velvet and open-knit jersey.  they fall at the perfect length for heels and have a sophisticated high waist.  the edge of the jersey on either side is scalloped (my first experience with a purling machine).  i wore them proudly to a party with a black lace tank and this girl complimented my outfit.  naturally, i was SO flattered and excited, but then i found out her father helped fund the a.wang spring fashion show!! WHAT!?  maybe she and i should have lunch sometime to discuss backing, design, and logistics. :)  (in my dreams)

the other pair was very much annie hall inspired, made of a heavy linen.  they are a little bit too big, so i need to tailor them, but i LOVE the crochet detail.  these, too, are high-waisted, but with a tapered leg.

image from fashionrat

 so it seems that i like interesting (but simple) lines/diagonals, drapey-ness, neutral colors (with neon accents), whimsical features, feminine details, and classic silhouettes.
this is still so very broad.  all of the above put together describes quite a bit of fashion history, but i'm honing in on the whimsy, girly, and simplicity.


much of my edgy/feminine i would say is inspired by two of my favorite designers, rodarte and proenza schouler.
looking at these images, you can clearly see where some of my aesthetic comes from.


images from style.com, and the sister project


images from style.com 


for my less obvious inspiration, it's kinda like a giant, expensive grab-bag of everyone's favorite designers.  i love the colors/preppyness of marc jacobs + j.crew.  the unexpected wit behind viktor & rolf + alexander wang.  and the elegant simplicity of stella mccartney.  i only posted a pattern with samples of favorite 'bottom-halves' of these designers because i really can't choose few enough images to fit into one post.



it's so excited to find my niche in the huuuuuuuge realm of fashion, but i certainly have much more to develop.  (not to mention, i desperately need to sharpen my construction skills.  i loved sewing before fit and grades mattered. go figure.)  i've never felt more relief than i felt friday, turning in my last project.  it was the hardest semester of my life, but also most exciting, fun, and enlightening 4 months ever.  so worth it, and so ready for my month-long break.


No comments: